Saturday, November 29, 2008

the elf on the shelf

This morning, we got a new addition to our family. His name is Joe, and he is an elf sent by Santa! Joe will stay at our house until Christmas Eve, at which time he will return to the North Pole until next Thanksgiving. (or there abouts...) Joe is with us to help keep an eye on Noah, remind him to be good and to report back to Santa. Joe came with a book (called The Elf on the Shelf) that gave us exact instructions on how to handle Joe. No touching him (or his magic may be lost), we had to give him a name, (Noah made a list that included Jolly, Red Boy, & Shaggy, to name a few) we can talk to him as often as we like but he, unfortunately, can't talk to us, (Santa's rule) and each night he will return to the North Pole to give his report to Santa and then return by morning. We have to find him each morning, as he likes to play games and doesn't want to stay in the same spot every day.

I found this book last year after telling a friend that Noah refused to visit Santa. Nothing we have said or done in the last couple years could convince him to sit on Santa's lap. No way, no how! Noah would barely even wave to him at the mall. My friend told me about this book and I loved the idea. It's so much fun! I wasn't sure if Noah would really buy it, but it seems he has, at least so far.

We put up some of our Christmas decorations yesterday, including a small tree for Noah's room. This morning when he woke up, he found a present under the tree. He came in to our bedroom this morning (way too early) and said, "Thank you!" I asked him, rather sleepily, why he was thanking me and he went on to tell me he was thanking me for the present under his tree. I played dumb and asked him what he was talking about and we went from there.... I had written a letter from Santa to Noah and we read that together and then read the book. He didn't seem all that interested and I was too tired to care, so I went back to bed. When I finally woke up, Noah didn't mention anything... until he found the elf! He was so excited and immediately went and made a list of names and decided on "Joe." For the rest of the day, he asked us repeatedly if we thought he was being good - he was so concerned that Joe would give a bad report. Also, I overheard him several times talking to Joe. One "conversation" went something like this:

"Joe, I'm going to sing you a song. You know Rudolph, the Red Nosed Reindeer? Well this is a song about his cousin, Randall. My dad taught it to me..." He then proceeded to sing "Randall the Green-Tailed Billy Goat," a song that Michael did indeed teach Noah. I was in the next room, doing my best not to laugh out loud! :)

To be honest, we really don't put a lot of focus on Santa. We set out cookies and milk for him each year and Santa fills a very large stocking for Noah and usually leaves a note of some sort, but that's about it. This book is so cute though and I thought it would be fun. Now, although we've added another bit of Santa to our Christmas tradition, that doesn't mean we'll take focus off the true meaning of our Christmas celebrations. We thank and praise God for His perfect gift that He gave us in Jesus. Because after all, even Santa knows that Jesus' birth, His life, suffering, death and resurrection and the hope and the promise that He has given us for life eternal with Him is a gift that can never be matched. May our Lord be with you this Advent and Christmas season and always! Merry Christmas!

No comments: