Sunday, November 16, 2008

Wiggles Fanatic

As most people who know Noah are aware, he is a total fanatic when it comes to The Wiggles. For those of you not familiar with this group, The Wiggles are four grown men from Australia who created this kids "band" as a college project. The Wiggles are now the highest paid Australian entertainers, earning more than Nicole Kidman and Russell Crowe! Anyway, Noah loves The Wiggles - we've had a Wiggles birthday party, he has many Wiggles CDs, movies, coloring books, toys and books and Noah can tell you anything you ever wanted (or didn't want) to know about each of the characters. We had assumed that this fanaticism would pass by the time Noah hit kindergarten. The Wiggles are really popular in the preschool set and interest usually dwindles. However, Noah remains enthralled with this singing and dancing group even to the extent that he knows every song and the dance that goes with it, he can draw them and their "Big Red Car" and has colored every Wiggles picture we've found on the internet.

So there's the background for this story. All of his Wiggles coloring books are colored in and have gone the way of all filled up coloring books - into the garbage with the occasional page torn out and sent to grandparents, friends or put into the art box. Once again, Noah is asking for a new Wiggles coloring book and we have searched everywhere to no avail. I went to Ft. Wayne yesterday and promised Noah that I would check Target and other stores for a Wiggly coloring book. I think in his heart, he believed that his mother would go to the ends of the earth if necessary, to fulfill this desire. So when I called to let "the boys" know that I was on my way home, it wasn't unexpected that the first thing Noah asked me on the phone was, "Mom, did you get me a Wiggles coloring book?" When I said no, I wasn't able to find one (and believe me, I looked!) he surprised me by bursting into tears! My first reaction was to turn around and try more stores... after all, I hadn't looked at EVERY possible store that might stock Wiggles coloring books... but the practical voice of reason kept me on the road home. I calmed him down with promises that we would check the internet and see what we could find. Of course, by the time that the phone had been passed to Michael, the Wiggles coloring book was forgotten as the snow outside beckoned. By the time I got home, Noah didn't even mention the unfound coloring book and was happy to see me.

But, I'm happy to report, there are two Wiggles coloring books in the mail as I type. :) The internet really is a wonderful thing!

No comments: