Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Back-to-School!

It's amazing how your perspective about the start of a new school year changes when you become a parent.  As a student and as a teacher, the first day of school was one of those days that I looked forward to with excitement and dread.  As a parent, it is pure JOY.  :)  Now don't get me wrong, I love summer and the chaos it produces in our household.  I vow each spring that I am not going to over schedule our summer and then, before I know it, every day is booked with something.  This summer was no exception.  But I have to be honest and tell you that this was one of my favorite summers of all time.  Yes, we were insanely busy, but I loved every tiring minute of it.  (Michael may not agree with me on this one....)  For me, it was 2 trips to Phoenix - a quick one alone that was beyond words of explanation - and a 2 week vacation in which we did a little bit of everything - played tourists, spent time with family and friends, lots of swimming and visited favorite restaurants.  I also was able to spend quite a bit of time enjoying the boys: riding bikes, playing outside, playing Wii, library trips, a couple of geo-caching trips, zoo trips, playgrounds and lots of other fun that hopefully you've had a chance to check out in previous entries.  The summer was topped off with a visit from my BFF of 20+ years, which you saw pictures of last week.  I can't think of a better way to enjoy summer - with family, friends and so many activities that we're all ready for the cabin fever inducing winter ahead.  (ok, maybe I'm not TOTALLY ready....)  I know that next spring I'll once again promise not to overschedule summer and that on the first day of school next year, I'll be telling you the same story.  I guess I just can't help it.  I LOVE the chaos of a busy summer!

And so, I leave you this week with the same pictures everyone posts this time of year: my child with his new lunchbox, backpack and tennis shoes, standing in front of the house on the first day of school. (if only I had pictures of the cartwheels I did on the driveway after the bus pulled away....)

8-24-11


No comments: