Tonight, Noah and I headed out to dinner and wandered around the mall. Because of the weather, the weekend and MLK day, Noah has been out of school for 5 days. During those 5 days, I spent 2 of them mostly in bed with the flu. Other than grocery shopping, church and a quick outing to order Noah's birthday cake, we've been stuck inside for way too long. Michael had to teach confirmation tonight, so Noah and I were on our own. I knew it was time to get out of this house!! :)
Noah and I had a very nice dinner together. He was polite, well-behaved, talked to me throughout our meal, held the door for me and was just a very good boy. He was excited to ride the escalator at the mall (the only one in town, btw) and check out the Love and Learn store and Waldenbooks. He had some leftover Christmas money that was burning a hole in his pocket and so he was on the lookout for something to buy. In the end, he made wise choices and bought things that I approved of! But the wise spending choices are not the results I'm talking about...
The results I'm talking about are the little things: holding the door open for me, staying close by, quietly looking through the books at the bookstore, not throwing random tantrums or disappearing the second I stop to look at something. Michael and I have worked hard to teach Noah to be polite, to follow directions and to be aware of his surroundings... just yesterday he darted in front of someone at the store and almost knocked the person over. But tonight? A different boy. More grown-up in a way. There have been days when I considered duct taping him to my hand so that he would stay by me... days when I wished we would've just stayed in with our cabin fever and watched tv... days that I wondered if he would always be the little boy who darted in and out of crowds, startling people. But I guess not. And on nights like tonight when he shows signs of growing up, I almost miss those other moments, because it means he really is growing up and won't need to hold my hand much longer... won't WANT to hold my hand much longer. Being a mom is bittersweet...
Monday, January 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment